Travel Agents are not dead nor extinct. We are very much alive and have a wealth of information to share with you. If you like to do your own research, go right ahead. But when you are ready to book that trip, talk to us. There are a lot of ways to see the world, but not all of them are right for you. Without a Professional Certified Travel Agent, you are on your own and that can be uncomfortable and expensive.
Why You Should Keep A Travel Diary
Collect moments, not things.” – unknown
Think about the many vacations you’ve taken, and all the souvenirs you’ve bought…what would you say is the best souvenir you have ever purchased?
- Maybe it was that beautiful linen tablecloth – no…that got stained and had to be thrown away.
- Was it those pretty earrings – no…one of those got lost.
- Or perhaps it was that beautiful porcelain doll for your collection – no…that got knocked off the shelf, by someone we won’t name, and broken.
So that doesn’t leave you with much!
I am not advocating that you should stop purchasing souvenirs, but I am suggesting that there is a way to preserve those treasured memories of your travel adventures, and that is to keep a travel diary or journal. You will be able to record your feelings, good or bad, special experiences, lessons learned and relationships built. What better souvenir than that?
Tips for keeping your travel diary…
Let me just start by saying, these are your thoughts and feelings, so there is no right or wrong way to make your record. It’s all about you and the things that are important to you. Here are a few suggestions:
- Begin by deciding how you will keep your journal, handwritten or digitally. Again, there’s no right or wrong way…just whatever way suits you best. Both are great and can be equally special.
- Handwritten – Choose whether you will use a spiral notebook or buy a beautiful book specifically for journaling. In your handwritten journal you can add, small mementos, postcards, pictures or dried flowers…it can be like a small scrapbook.
- Digitally – Many people today like to do everything on their smart phone, digital tablet or even a laptop computer. In your digital diary you can use your device to take your pictures and then embed them in the appropriate place in the journal.
- Begin each trip’s journal entry with your itinerary, and why you wanted to take this specific trip.
- You can also use your journal to help with the planning of your trip; places you want to see, people you may want to look up, or even suggestions about your destination from people who have been there.
- Decide when you will write in your journal. Will you make little notes along the way so you can record everything at the end of your trip? Or will you make entries at the end of the day or every other day so they are fresh in your mind.
- Maybe you like to sit and sketch places you have been, so if you are keeping a handwritten diary, you could add a sketch or two to personalize it even more.
- Take a moment to think before journaling, to reflect on your your experiences and feelings.
- Include in your journal, the people you meet, and maybe include their contact information so you can possibly connect in the future.
- Close your trip’s entry with how successful your vacation was and why.
- When you get home, don’t tuck your journal away where it will not be found for a long time, keep it convenient to read and remember.
An example from my own life…
In 1996 my husband and I had sold a business. We were free. So we packed up the car and headed out. We thought we would visit a couple or three national parks. Well, we actually hit 15 national parks. We headed east to Mt. Rushmore, then a family reunion in Colorado Springs. After that we just wandered wherever we wanted to go. I kept a daily journal of where we were and what we did. We didn’t hit the freeway until 2 months later and headed home. The next year I took out the journal and every day we retraced our trip remembering all the fun experiences. I still have that as a treasure now in my own handwriting.
Your journal will be unique to you, it will give you the opportunity to reflect, document all the things you want to remember… it will help keep your memories safe and become the best souvenir you ever invested in.
I am a seasoned traveler and travel agent…My specialty is vacation travel, and I love to give personal service, and be the warm hands you hold from the beginning to the end of your trip.
Contact me, together we can plan the vacation of your dreams.